David Himbert - Photographe Montréal

Back to Store

Farine Five Roses, out of focus

$129.00 CAD

Shipping costs will be calculated at checkout.

Fine Art Printing, Museum Quality.

Fine Art printing is done on a Hahnemühle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth Mat 305 gsm, 100 % Cotton, white, acid free, long conservation time.

Frame not included.

Shipping calculated at checkout.
Tax included.

----------------------------------

L'enseigne lumineuse Farine Five Roses

L'enseigne lumineuse Farine Five Roses est un néon publicitaire installé sur le toit de la minoterie ADM à Montréal. Elle a été qualifiée d'« icône du patrimoine industriel de Montréal » et figure dans un palmarès des 15 symboles les plus emblématiques de Montréal.

En 1948, une première enseigne a été installée sur le toit du silo par son propriétaire, Ogilvie Flour Mills. Elle portait alors l'inscription « Farine Ogilvie Flour ». En 1954, Ogilvie Flour Mills achète Lake of the Woods Milling Company, ainsi que sa meilleure marque de farine, Five Roses. Au cours des années 1960, l'enseigne est changée pour « Farine Five Roses Flour ».

En 1977, le mot « flour » est retiré de l'écriteau bilingue, en raison de l'adoption de la Charte de la langue française.

En 2013, la compagnie Smucker investit une somme avoisinant un million de dollars pour la réparation et la conservation de l'enseigne.

----------------------------------

The Farine Five Roses illuminated sign

The Farine Five Roses illuminated sign is an advertising neon sign installed on the roof of the ADM flour mill in Montreal. It has been described as an “icon of Montreal's industrial heritage” and is listed in a list of the 15 most emblematic symbols of Montreal.

 In 1948, a first sign was installed on the roof of the silo by its owner, Ogilvie Flour Mills. It then bore the inscription “Farine Ogilvie Flour”. In 1954, Ogilvie Flour Mills purchased Lake of the Woods Milling Company, as well as its best flour brand, Five Roses. During the 1960s, the brand was changed to “Farine Five Roses Flour”.

In 1977, the word "flour" was removed from the bilingual sign, due to the adoption of the Charter of the French language. In 2013, the Smucker company invested a sum close to one million dollars for the repair and the conservation of the sign.


Using Format